Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Burst of Productivity

I'm not sure if it is the influence of coffee, the cool mornings, or Harriet Fasenfest's A Householder's Guide to the Universe, but I had a burst of productivity this morning. I've made yogurt, the laundry's out to dry, the solar cooker is preheating, and pizza dough is rising. It's not even 10 o'clock! Now if only I could maintain this frenzy to get me through a paper about which I've been procrastinating!

Here are some pics of the garden and yard from this morning:

I borrowed this solar cooker to practice before I use it in our environmental ed. elective. It got up to 300 degrees yesterday!

Cosmos in bloom

This sunflower is narrow on top, wide on the bottom. It makes a perfect shade umbrella for the chickens.


One of the sunflowers in front of the house. Bonus points if you can spot the honeybee!

These were supposed to get much taller, but I think I planted too late, or it's just too hot.

I've been watching hummingbirds, goldfinches, native and honeybees work this sunflower from the kitchen window.

The butternut that is taking over the garden. This works well for my lazy gardening style as I didn't plant it in the first place!

Two of the lovely butternuts that are doing well so far. We've avoided the squash bugs as of yet. Thanks to the chickens and the interplanted tomatoes perhaps?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

..looks great. I love my solar cooker. Just yesterday I used it to cook veggies then used those veggies to make veggie hamburgers..it makes food taste really good..just make sure to cube up veggies into small pieces to make sure they cook quickly!

Desert Lean-to said...

Eagergridlessbeaver-thanks for the advice. This is the maiden voyage with rice and baked potatoes. Start out easy, right? I have a feeling I'll be making a lot more with it.

a. said...

The honeybee is located on the flower near (top/left) in the shade from the petals.

Desert Lean-to said...

~a. Ding ding ding! You are the big winner! Good eye for the bee.