Monday, February 20, 2012

Gadgets

I generally eschew small appliances in the kitchen, figuring I can do most things a food processor could do by just spending a little more time with the chef's knife, mortar and pestle, and some elbow grease. Now that we've added an immersion blender and an 11 cup food processor, I can't believe I ever lived without them. Here is just a sampling of what I've made with the food processor in the past week:

  • Bread dough--sandwich and two rustic loaves*
  • Tofu-Tempeh "meat"balls*
  • Carrot-miso dipping sauce for above meatballs*
  • A gluten free salty pecan crust for a vegan pumpkin pie (which was amazing!)
  • Arugula-cilantro pesto
  • Coconut milk from shredded, unsweetened coconut*
  • Chopping and slicing of veggies

The immersion blender has also helped puree a couple of soups (a red lentil and a curried red kuri squash soup) and blend some walnut-miso dressings. I tried making mayonnaise with it, too, but was not successful. I may have added the olive oil too quickly.

All in all I am very satisfied with our two new appliances. They are broadening my recipe repertoire helping alleviate some of the ho-hum of stand by meals.

*Recipes from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman

No comments: