Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Something I Don't See Everyday

On  beautiful afternoons we don't see too many people outside in our neighborhood. No one has lawns that need mowing and there aren't many gardens to tend. There are quite a few kids, but they are conspicuously absent from their yards and on the street. Today was an exception, however.

As I rode home from work I saw a handful of boys playing football in my neighbor's backyard. It was so unusual that I almost did a double take. They were having such a good time on this warm winter afternoon and I got to thinking how that sight was so novel. It put a smile on my face.

I remember many afternoons playing outside in our neighborhood: building forts, riding bikes, playing tag. It was just what we did. I wonder if those boys found their game of football so new and different. They certainly seemed to find it fun.

If you're worried about how rarely you see children outside, please read Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. His work looks at what little time children spend in the outdoors and why they should be out more often. Of course I'm writing this from inside the house, tied to a laptop.

I'm going outside.

No comments: